Take a look at the two pictures below. In the first, you have two handsome men, the one on the right only slightly more handsome than the one on the left. In the second, you see that being better looking has its benefits and the man on the right has a hot wife and beautiful daughter, he is taken. From the picture, it appears that the man on the left is alone and available. Let me tell you a little about him.
His name is Matt and he not only is a legend, but very well could be The Legend in my book.
Much of what I do very well could be the result as a vain attempt to emulate Matt.
Matt is wicked smart, four years of HS, five years of college, nothing but A's on his report cards (unless you count the two A- he received at CU from professors who apparently didn't like knowing less than their student.)
Matt is a phenomonal athlete and has been for sometime. We were on a basketball team together when we were 10. We went undefeated. The typical box score would read:
Dave 1-12 2 pts
Kyle 2-8 4 pts
Mitch 0-20 0 pts
Matt 12-15 30 pts
That might seem like a gross exageration, but if you were to ask any of the Grizzlies they would vouch for it. Matt was the Grizzlies and the rest of us were just lucky enough to share the court with him.
The basketball skills only got better and while Matt was great in HS and college I only wish that I could have seen how good he would have been had he weighed 30 more lbs his senior year. Something tells me that being 6-3 and 140 lbs limited his ability just a hair.
Matt is also a great golfer. He should be. I would like to be as good as him, but when we were roommates and would stay up late, he would practice his swing relentlessly, while Tom and I would play videogames for hours on end. It really is sweet justice that I'm now a 17 while he is a 4 handicap.
In the accounting world of Denver, Matt is in a class of his own. My decision to get a Master's in Taxation was based solely on the hope of being like Matt someday.
I took Matt's twin sister to the prom, only to lose out to him in the balloting for King.
I could go on and on. It probably sounds like I have a bit of a man crush on him. The point is, the guy is impressive. The bad news for all you ladies is that while he may appear single in the photos above and up until two years ago appeared to be eternally doomed to solitude, the curse has been broken and it has been well worth the wait.
Matt and Nicole came to visit us just before the 4th of July and it was great! For over a year I had heard many wonderful things about Nikki and was a little skeptical that she could live up to the hype. I was not disappointed.
Of all of the two girls that Matt has dated, Nikki comes out miles ahead. She is sweet, fun, energetic, athletic, funny, attractive and a perfect fit for my boy Matt. After years of telling Matt to stop being so picky and just give a girl a shot, I see that in the end he was right and I was wrong. Seeing the two of them together tells me that it was well worth his wait.
The time we spent together was great. We stayed up late playing Nerts and then played golf the next day. It was lots of fun to have them stay with us. Becca and G even joined us on the golf course for the last 7 holes and it made for a perfect day.
The best part of the whole trip is that now that I have met Nicole and given my stamp of approval. Matt and Nicole are getting married. He asked her the week after they visited us and are set to take the plunge in late September. We couldn't be happier for them. They are a great couple and we are excited to build many more memories with them in the future.
Matt and Nicole, thank you so much for visiting us. You both are awesome!!
2 comments:
Man crush indeed, no denying it. It was very fortuitous that you stumbled across my blog. Drop me a line (ronifer@gmail.com) so we can catch up.
Ryan Jensen
Harlingen, TX 1996
Yea for Matt! I'll agree with you there that he's an impressive guy. Glad to see he's found the perfect gal for him... she's definitely a cutie! Thanks for posting about old friends, Dave. I'm so out of touch with people from GM.
Post a Comment