Blog background

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Introducing Brooks David Eggleston

On July 9th at 8:15 am, we welcomed Brooks David into the world. He weighed in at 9 lb 2 oz and measured 21 inches long. With a mother as beautiful as Becca, as expected, he is a handsome young man.
Although Becca was super nervous leading up to the c-section, she did wonderfully and was a champ. Thanks to the steroids she had been taking for the prior two weeks, her platelets came back within an acceptable range allowing her to use a spinal block for anesthesia instead of general (which she did for Genevieve). One of the many plusses of the spinal is that it allowed me to be in the room and watch the surgery/delivery. Seeing the process gives a whole new appreciation for the miracle that is childbirth and modern medicine. Thanks to being in the O.R., I am missing my old college job as a graveyard shift orderly in St. Anthony's OR. Becca's OB was great, talking me through the procedure as I watched on.

Both Mommy and Baby are doing well. It is amazing how much better Becca is doing this time by just skipping straight to the c-section as opposed to laboring for 30 some odd hours before being wheeled into the OR. I think we are both now bona fide fans of scheduled childbirth. That said, we still need to remind Genevieve that Mommy had a major surgery and won't be up to full speed for a bit.

So far, Genevieve is adjusting remarkably well to having a little brother and being a big sister. She adores Brooks and he is generally the first thing she asks about when she wakes up. "Where's Brooks?" "Is my baby brother sleeping?" are frequent questions out of G's mouth. She loves to hold him and is getting a little bit more confident in her skills. I think it is only a matter of days before I catch her dragging him around the room by his arm or head.

Brooks has already had a couple of visitors. Grandma and Grandpa Eggleston came down and spent some time right after the birth.
Grandma Smith has been here since the 11th and has been incredible. Between cooking dinners, playing with Genevieve and helping Becca to rest, it doesn't get much better than this. She even has done wash, including folding all the clothes in my unmentionables drawer. I might be the only guy around who wishes his mother-in-law would move closer. Really, the house across the street is for sale and I can't think of a better situation than having Lonnie and Cheryl live there.

Here are a few more pics we like of the little guy.
Some of you have asked who Brooks looks like. The answer is he looks a lot like Genevieve did at the same age. The next two pics are Brooks and Genevieve and then Genevieve at the same age. I think the resemblance is amazing and I think that it is lucky for both of them, because they are pretty darn cute!

12 comments:

Feuz family said...

Congratulations on your beautiful baby boy! What a cutie! I guess he comes by that naturally huh? Best wishes to all.

Diana said...

Yay! he's gorgeous, just as expected! I'm so glad everyone is doing well and adjusting to a new definition of "normal"! Congrats to the whole Eggleston family!

Alisha M said...

What a beautiful baby and family too! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! He is beautiful! I'm so glad everyone is doing well! Happy baby to you!!

KT Robinson said...

Thanks for the update. He looks quite handsome. Hopefully we'll be "delivering" a friend for him to play with in the next few weeks. CONGRATS!

Scott & Tami said...

Congrats, he's adorable!

Melody said...

Congrats, cute family! Kudos to Becca for enduring surgery once again and having a good attitude about it. Wow, they really do look alike!

Tamie said...

ah! proud papa!!!! congrats to the egglestons on the newest eggleston! wahoo!

Anonymous said...

YEAH! What a big, happy, beautiful boy! I'm so glad things went better this time around. So much love to all of you!

Gwen said...

congratulations!! You all look wonderful!

The Wyly's said...

Congratulations Becca! He is adorable and I love the name. Hope you are doing well.

Familia Bethers said...

Congratulations to the Eggleston family on Brooks' arrival!!! He is gorgeous and WOW! What a big boy he is! Great job Becca and David!