Blog background

Sunday, August 31, 2008

On a whim

I have always thought in the back of my mind that it would be great to run a marathon, but for the last few years figured that it was one of those wishful thinking dreams. I wasn't regular enough in my running or exercise to do anything near that! This past April I decided to get my act into gear. Following the example of my father (who is vigilant in his exercise routine), I get up stinking early in the morning and run before Genevieve wakes up, in order to avoid a melt down of me leaving her. Although I only get in about a 30 minute run each day before Dave leaves for work, that half an hour is a great release for me and changes my entire day.

At the end of July, a friend mentioned to me a half marathon that was being held in the neighboring town mid-August. That started to get me thinking, but I still wasn't sure; I was scheduled to be out of town that weekend. Well, my plans changed a bit, and the evening before the race I decided to do it. Dave says people don't wake up one morning and suddenly decide to run a marathon, but with my half, it was pretty close to that! Keep in mind that I only run about half an hour a day, I had been out of town helping my sister with her new baby and only ran once the week of the race (for 27 minutes with the jogging stroller; it was all the patience I could get out of Genevieve), and the last race I had run was a 10k back in 2002. It had been a while! Oh well, there's no time like the present!

My time is nothing to brag about, 2 hours and 14 minutes. Yet, I did it! With a lack of long runs and training, I don't think that's too bad. I had hoped for better, but perhaps next time with some training I'll be closer to two hours. The weather was far from ideal the day of the race, and I wondered a few times to myself, "What in the world am I doing out here?!" I ran in freezing rain, slush, thunder and lightning (within a second of each other!) for the first third of the race. The next two thirds of the race the skies cleared up, but I was soaked through. I am still getting over the cold I caught. Oh well! I still had fun and would do it again! - Dave and Genevieve drove up to see me at the finish line. I was really glad they did; it meant a lot to me. Here are the photos Dave took. No one ever looks great at the end of a race, but I don't care. I'll let you know when I try it, again!

6 comments:

Whitney said...

You're awesome, Bec! Congratulations!!

Ryan and Amy Nelsen said...

That is great time for hardly training! I want to run one, but I think too hard about it...I should just wake up one morning and do it!! Way to go!

Eevi said...

Way to go Becca! I trained two and half months for my half-marathon so I think you are awesome for "just going for it".

Diana said...

Wow! Very impressive Becca! You must squeeze more miles into those 30 minutes each morning than I do! I don't even want to calculate how long it would take me to do 13 miles. Way to go!

Tanya said...

Wow, great job Becca! You are awesome! Maybe we can do one together someday. So, when is the full marathon?? :) Keep in mind, you don't need high weekly mileage to "train" for a half. Even twice a week running is sufficient (that is all I do). My fast friends even only run 3 x's a week in training for halfs. Keep it up!

Familia Bethers said...

I am sooo impressed! And now motivated too!