From my observations, I have determined that family blogs seem to be much more the domain of wives than husbands. I might be the only husband that I know of that posts regularly (or at least a few times a year) to the family blog. Maybe it comes from having four sisters. Maybe it's that I secretly believe that people care what I think. Maybe it comes down to the fact that in the back of my mind, I think I make people laugh when I post. When it comes down to it, this post has nothing to do with those things. I simply got sick of seeing all of these glowing tributes to husbands that appear on people's blogs, but never a tribute to wives. So this one goes out to you, Becca, my inspiration for singing Air Supply every morning in the shower.
Why is Becca great??? Let me tell you some of the many reasons why...
I work a lot. I have worked a lot almost from the day we got married. Becca doesn't complain about the fact that for weeks at a time I am virtually useless around the house. I start a project that should take a day and Becca finishes it four months later when she realizes that I am not going to get back to it. In our old townhouse when I started to put crown moulding up, it was really Becca's work that drove us to complete it two years later.
I gas when I sleep. Sometimes they stink. Becca never kicks me when I rollover and a little bit of bad odor seeps out of the covers. That's love!
Remember the former cheerleader that you saw at your ten year reunion that made you say to yourself, "she has really let herself go." Well, she isn't the only one that bares evidence of too many nights sitting in the Lazy Boy with a box of Bonbons in one hand and a carton of ice cream in the other. I conned Becca by being in the best shape of my life when we started dating. Now I have to use a mirror to see if my fly is up before I walk out the door due to an unpleasant obstruction that blocks my view of my waistline. Through it all, she tells me that I am still dead sexy.
After the honeymoon Dave. Notice the way she cups my belly.
While we are on the topic of physical attributes... I will never make the claim that I had a full head of hair when Becca and I met, but she has to feel a little suckered that what little hair I did have five years ago has faded fast. She tells me that it is the mind inside the head and not the hair on top of the head that really matters. That's really sweet.
That's not just a short hair cut, there is nothing there.
Despite the fact that I work a lot, Becca lets me play on Saturdays. I think I was able to ski almost every Saturday from January through last weekend. In a couple of weeks, I will be expected to play a few holes of golf before meeting Becca and Genevieve at the pool for some family time. We will repeat this Saturday schedule most weeks of the summer. How many wives say, "Honey, you should go hit some balls tomorrow morning before we go to the pool"?
Becca compliments me on my slowly developing French language skills. (Oddly she has never complimented me on my French kissing skills.) Becca always makes you feel good about the effort you are putting in to get better.
Becca is a fine chef and often makes a great dinner for me to enjoy. She has taught me to like salads, green beans, broccoli and many other foods that just weren't as good before she made them with such love.
Becca is the best Mom in the world. She is so patient with Genevieve and some of the lifestyle changes that come with being a full-time mom. She enthusiastically takes G to music classes each week, story groups at the library and field trips to places like the petting zoo. Today, she was stoked to tell me about sitting in a neighbors yard and watching tractors and dump trucks at a construction site for almost an hour.
Becca skis well. I haven't ever really been a big fan of skiing with other people because you end up spending too much time either on the wrong terrain or waiting or being waited on. Becca skis at just the right pace on just the right terrain and it is fun. Thanks for not being a poser sweetie.
If you come to our house, you will probably notice that considering the fact that we have an almost two year old our house is very clean. This is not because of me. Becca takes such good care of everything she owns. It's easy to spoil her, knowing that she will take good care of things.
I like to tell people that we are expecting a baby long before Becca is actually pregnant. Becca doesn't like this, but she tolerates me being me. By the way, we are expecting a baby in July 2010. Don't call after 8:00 p.m..
Becca is hot.
Becca helps me be a far better person than I would be without her in my life.
In short, Becca is awesome and deserves a massive shout out for being so great. I love you, Sweetheart. You are the best.


11 comments:
Dave -- You crack me up! We miss your sense of humor around here. Becca is great but you're not so bad either. Any husband who wakes up and makes a gourmet breakfast for his wife and her friends on girls weekend can't be that bad of a guy.
Dave, you are so sweet! Thank you for loving me so much and always putting a smile on my face! I love you!!! - Becca
congratulations on the baby!! We love reading your blog, I love to see what everyone's up to.
dave: you know that i am going to get brook to read this...beware...and seriously: you are pretty dang funny and we miss you!
congrats on the new little kidlet coming along...can't wait for you to join the race of more than one child :)
You and Tyson sound like peas in a pod. But you would never know that because he spends all of his blogging time posting snarky comments rather than creating a post. And you do make us laugh. Keep it up.
Becca--what a great tribute!!
great post dave... very funny. Becca is blessed to have you passing gas in her bed. I know I wouldn't want anyone else do it but you. Bytheway, 'dating dave' is now my desktop wallpaper...
What woman wouldn't want her husband disclosing so many things that people just don't talk about on their semi-public family blog? Becca couldn't be your wife if she didn't love that part of you! I'm so glad you have chosen to embrace so many sides of life! Life will always be entertaining with you - how lucky you are to have each other!
Dave, you are just plain crazy. Hope you don't have too many people fooled w/your February baby.
Oh Dave, you're always good for a laugh. You and Becca make a great couple!! All I want to know, is did Becca let you hang up your framed HS football jersey in your house?? What a great wife she would be if she did.... actually, NO I take that back. She is probably the best and smartest wife for not letting you hang it up....I have to confess I thought that was the silliest wedding present I've ever seen. (Hope your not offened by my bluntness!!)
Hey Dave its Curtis. I stumbled on to your blog and enjoyed reading your post. It has been a long time. I live in Provo now. Give me your email and we can catch up. mine is curtis.thacker at gmail.com. Talk to you soon I hope.
Post a Comment